Friday, October 11, 2013

Metallic Nonpareil

I decided to make a soap themed after a friends upcoming wedding. They are having a fall wedding and chose black with metallic highlights as their colors. Very urban, very cool.I used almost every metallic mica I had: pearly white, gold, copper and antique silver. I made the base black and decided since it was black I could get away with a discoloring fragrance! I used Bramble Berry's Vanilla Select. I can't speak to the level of discoloration since I used black oxide, but it sure looks black! I wanted to use my new soap comb tool again, but try something different than the Peacock Swirl. I remembered liking the pattern of the Peacock Swirl after the first pass of the comb so I did that. That pattern is actually called nonpareil, which I learned via Google the day I made this soap! What a coinky-dink... ;)
I attempted to capture more steps this time, so without further ado...

I did this the night before to give the bottles a lot of time to dry out. I don't want any water in my oil/pigment mix!

Mini mixer: Badger Air-Brush Co. 121 Paint Mixer. I use this thing to mix up lotion batches too!

After blending the kaolin clay with a small amount of oils, I blend that mixture into the base oils. Sort of like mixing flour with a little oil first to prevent clumps while making a roux. I always enjoy how it makes the oils look like thinly traced soap! Ahh the small things...


I did not add fragrance to these top colors because I didn't want them to be discolored.

Super sparkly and fall-tastic in the sun, but still a little bit like condiments!

Luckily the colors became more muted and less 'hot dog stand' after 24 hours. I got a couple little heat tunnels on top. They are really small, but wah! I think my days of insulating soap are O-V-E-R!

Looking pretty classy with a beveled edge!

No comments :

Post a Comment