Monday, January 27, 2014

'Like Buttah': Take II

A second take on the 'Like Buttah' soap. Same oils, but some tweaks along the way...
I've heard bead lye is harder to work with because it bounces around or gets everywhere... Just do what I do and put the whole pouring set up in the sink. Then rinse away any escaped beads. Make sure to use a cutting board or piece of cardboard in the sink to create a flat surface. Your scale needs to be level to be accurate.

I soaped with goat milk this time instead of coconut and buttermilk. Buttermilk has a smell I don't care for. It does go away during cure, but it smells cheesy to me. I let the goat milk ice sit out for about a half hour. When it was fully mixed in with the lye I poured it into much hotter oils. Oil temp displayed below.

It traced much faster. Still slow, but faster than last time!

I used 100% virgin olive oil this time, so I added some titanium dioxide.

I borrowed my kitty's heating pad and wrapped the soap in it. Then wrapped in a towel and weighted the fold with my heaviest item. The heating pad heats to about 108°F and provides steady heat.


It came out very nice! It looks very much like the first rendition (without the cracking and crumbling) so no photo needed. I'll give it eight weeks before testing it, then try to hold off for a few months while they grow up to be the delicious luxury soap I imagine they will be!

No comments :

Post a Comment