Monday, February 24, 2014

Foamy Waves Soap

Layerssssssss. Imagine I said that like Gollum. 
Actually I have done a lot of soap with layers. I only did three layers once, here, and I'm not even sure I would count that as three layers. Anyway! I wanted to try some really crisp three layer soaps. I'm getting low on unisex fragrances so I wanted to remedy that too. I used goat milk and a basic recipe for this. One thing, I don't think I mixed the kaolin clay in as thoroughly as normal... but we'll come back to that.

What diversity of colors! Blue and blue! This is Nurture Soap Supplies Blue Vibrance Mica. Isn't it gorge... haha. But really this is the best bright blue around. The fragrance I chose is Bramble Berry's Soapy Clean. This is a very strong and long lasting fragrance, so using the minimum is best.

Ahah! Now the blue and blue makes sense right? Well maybe not why I used two small beakers, I don't quite know why I did that. But anyway, I added dispersed colorant slowly until I got the light blue I wanted and the dark blue I wanted. I did not fragrance these until after I had mixed all of the colors in. Soapy Clean accelerates a little bit. I used this to my advantage and mixed 1/3 of the fragrance into the dark blue and stirred until it thickened up.

I wanted it thicker to support the top layers without breaking through. I whacked it down on the counter to release bubbles (which didn't end up working much) and accidentally flipped up a lip of soap at either end of the mold. I didn't see this until later. So some of the sides aren't as tidy as the cut faces. I continued adding fragrance to each subsequent color to thicken it and gently layer it over the previous color.



I tried to take a picture of the loaf fresh out of the mold, it showed how the flip ups from whacking it down made the sides of the bars messy looking. However it was really hard to get a good (in focus) picture of it! So here it is cut about a week after making. Soapy clean hardly discolors and I think some of the yellowing is lighting. In real life the colors are more vibrant and the top is ivory. What is it with some soaps being almost impossible to photograph and others being so easy!

As you can see I ended up with a fair amount of bubbles in this soap but that didn't really miff me too much. What DID was these weird brownish spots :( I'm thinking they might be small chunks of clay or chunks of goat milk fat. Either way, it's too bad, but they don't zap so the soap seems fine. Just with a few aesthetic flaws.

No comments :

Post a Comment