Saturday, October 19, 2013

Green Apple Soap

After the success of my (second attempt) Pumpkin Soap I thought it would be nice to do a few more Autumn/ Winter themed soaps. I have already done an Apple soap, but that was inspired by Bramble Berry's "Red Apple" Fragrance. I bought some "Green Apple" fragrance from Wholesale Supplies Plus so this apple soap is a green one!I haven't ever done gradient or layers before so this seemed like a good idea now. I wanted just three colors, darker green, yellow-green and yellow. Layering proved to be as difficult as I thought it would (why I haven't tried it yet...) I brought things to a medium trace so the layers would be more stable and not break through too much. However, I think I got a false trace for the first time ever. It seemed nice and thick but then sort of went liquidy again. The emulsion didn't break and I didn't experience any floating oil, separating soap or other nasties. Just thick to thin. So layering didn't happen. Also, I somehow way WAY miss-measured the soap amounts for each layer, ending with just a smidgen of middle green and lots of dark green bottom and yellow top. On the up side, it looks interesting (though not as intended) and smells really great!


I tried mixing the powdered form of green oxide with the powdered Fizzy Lemonade colorant but it resulted in pretty much the same green as just green oxide! Maybe a little lighter, but not enough of a difference for what I wanted.

I poured the too-green middle mixture into another container for another day and started over. This time I mixed up the Fizzy Lemonade and added 1/8 tsp scoop of already dispersed green oxide colorant. It worked! Much lighter!

I added 1oz Green Apple Fragrance. It seemed to work fine! No ricing, seizing, etc. The false trace I got was before adding the fragrance.

I mixed the kaolin clay and colloidal oatmeal together and added 1oz Olive oil (deducted from amount used in the recipe) before adding them to the rest of the oils.

I decided to add an egg again but this time did not temper it. I separated the yolk from the whites and then let the yolk slowly drip into the cooler oils through the strainer. It seemed just the same as tempering it, but less work and did not result in pieces of egg crust.

No pictures of layering because I screwed that up and was not thinking about photographing it as much as making it look half way presentable! I did a few tight S curves in the top layer for a little bit of detail. It couldn't support much more since it was at a thin trace.

Looks like a little bit of soap slipped through uncolored! Reminds me of a booger smear. Maybe it can be planed off or just ignored.

Sorry for the dark pics... All four sides of the soap and how different they all turned out! Not at all layered haha

Cut pictures! How crazy is that? They actually came out really neat! It was a total fluke and I'm super pleased with the outcome. I think it looks like blades of grass but I've heard skyline and shadows of people (zombies specifically). The yellow brightened up and it's much more interesting than I planned.

No comments :

Post a Comment