Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Painted Ring Cone


Everyone who wears a ring daily should have a home-base for that ring. Just like your keys! If you put something in the same place every time you set it down you’ll spend less time searching for it on your way out the door. For me, that also decreases the chance it will vanish into the world of lost things (with all those socks). I thought about making a ring cone out of clay (like this ring dish), but I wanted something crisp and something faster to make.
I bought five wooden cones on Etsy for a couple bucks and they are perfect for rings. They are unfinished and ready for some fun paint. I painted mine like a mountain, but you could do anything your heart desires. I started to sand mine before painting, but stopped, it didn’t need it. Even easier!

PAINTED RING CONE

Wooden cone
Skinny washi tape
Paint brush
Paint colors of choice
Xacto knife

I bought these, but any wooden cone would do.

I know, white and gold. How unique and out of character! I used acrylic for the white top and a metallic gold for the base. This is the gold I always use and I love it. It is the best for a bright shiny finish.

I got my skinny washi tape at Michael’s. You could cut any painters or masking tape into a strip if you didn’t want to buy a new tape.

I wanted a more uneven/abstract mountain pattern, so I didn’t measure the tape pieces. I added them around in a way I liked and called it good.

Gently trim the overlapping tape pieces with an Xacto knife.

Nice crisp edges!

Top painted. Use smooth strokes bottom to top to avoid visible paint lines. Don’t push the brush too aggressively against the tape.

Once the white has thoroughly dried enough to touch, you can move on to painting the bottom. Remember to shake this paint very, very well before using. I always have a hard time opening this little pain jar. My favorite trick is to wrap a rubber band around the top for some traction.

If you have shaken it up enough, it will be a smooth metallic color and appear fully mixed.

It only takes one coat of this paint to get full coverage and a great shine.

To clean my brush after using this paint I use cooking oil and dish soap. Use the oil first and massage it into the bristles. Rinse. Then wash with dish soap a couple times to remove all oil.

I pour the oil in my hand and rub the brush into it. But you could use a dish if you don’t want the paint touching your hands.

When the paint is fully dry, gently remove the washi tape.

Tada! Pretty, affordable and easy craft to wrangle your rings.

No comments :

Post a Comment