Friday, November 10, 2017

Yellow Rose of Texas


Lemon is a very underrated pairing for tequila. All the focus is on lime, but if you haven’t had a lemon tequila cocktail you are missing out! Tequila also pairs well with florals. I never cared much for tequila when I thought the Margarita was the only option (or shots…) If you have the same “blah” attitude towards tequila I highly recommend trying it a different way by trying this cocktail!
The original recipe for this drink comes from The Violet Hour in Chicago. I discovered it in this Bloomberg article “Why Yellow Chartreuse Should Be the Secret Weapon of Your Home Bar”. Before I buy a liqueur, especially a potentially expensive one, I try to find three drinks I can use the liqueur in that sound good. Chances are at least one of those will be worth keeping around. This is by far my favorite Yellow Chartreuse drink (I have one more in my arsenal I’ll share another time).
I altered the proportions of this drink slightly. It felt a little too sweet and sugar forward to me as it’s written, so I swapped the proportions for the simple syrup and Chartreuse. I recommend you try the original first if you like things on the sweeter side. This is still a sweet cocktail with the proportions changed, but it’s tempered by the rose water. Another thing, I slowly stopped drinking cocktails up. I pretty much pour everything over a giant ice cube. There are exceptions of course, but I don’t know… it hits the spot I guess!

YELLOW ROSE OF TEXAS

2 oz. Blanco Tequila
.75 oz. Lemon Juice
.5 oz. Yellow Chartreuse
.25 oz. Simple Syrup
Dash Rose Water

The original recipe calls for a specific tequila, but I just use a blanco of whatever variety I have. 

Pour all the ingredients into a cocktail shaker and swirl them together.

Pour over a large ice cube or shake with ice and serve up.

Garnish with a lemon slice or twist if you are feeling fancy, otherwise no garnish needed.

No comments :

Post a Comment