Monday, November 10, 2014

Margarita Lime Soap


This is a Wholesale Supplies Plus fragrance that is supposed to be lime, tequila and orange. It smells like lime only out of bottle and only a light lime once soaped. I'm surprised by the reviews who say this smells like straight tequila... I don't think they know what tequila smells like.
I did a green drop swirl with a Lime mica from Nurture Soap Supplies and a Crafter's Choice matte green oxide. I dropped the two greens into an uncolored base. After the drop swirl I layered the remaining uncolored soap over the top, then the rest of the greens. I swirled them with a skewer and topped the soap with a line of kosher salt and some gold glitter! I tried a palm-free recipe also. In the past the only palm free I've done is Castile, Bastille and all coconut oil bars. This soaped up fine and I can't wait to see what it's like! The water amount that came out of the calculator was 6.60oz, but I just went with 6oz so maybe it would firm up faster. One weird thing that happened was that the lime soap turned a gross muddy pea green when I added the fragrance oil. The top of the soap has turned bright green again after a night. When I rinsed the residual soap out of the container it turned bright lime again mixed with water! Chemistryyyyyy.

The picture does NOT show the muddy color... It looks bright like it should.

Also a falsely bright picture. Pre-swirl.

It took a decent amount of salt to get some raised above the top layer of soap. I have no idea what this will do besides look cool, so we'll see if anything weird happens. The fine gold glitter I used is just sprinkled from my fingers and is 'Gold Glitter, Microfine' from TKB Trading.

The glitter didn't end up adding much to the soap and looked more like something had went wrong with it! Between it and the salt... I might have to plane the top off! Oh well, experiments are fun :)

The bottom.

I took it out a little too soon (it sat in the mold for 2 days!) and I got some cracks and chunks out. Luckily the big crack you see didn't actually break apart because it was too soft!

And cut.

I like to see the drop swirl continue from the cut side to the bottom.

No comments :

Post a Comment