Friday, October 20, 2017

Aperol Spritz


My favorite Aperol drink is the Aperol Spritz. I think this drink is becoming more popular, I see it on more and more brunch menus. If you see it you should definitely try it. It is very light and refreshing without being too sweet. A little bitter, a little citrus and quite bubbly.

I have heard Aperol listed as a lesser sub for Campari. I disagree, just because they are both bitter doesn’t make them interchangeable. I think Aperol is fantastic in its own right and shouldn’t be compared. It is less bitter and less herbal and is a vibrant orange color. It’s also a little more affordable compared to Campari.
This is the recipe from the back of the bottle. No changes needed to this. Sometimes I get lazy and just add aperol to champagne, omitting the soda (it’s very hard to screw this drink up). The soda keeps it a little lighter and doesn’t water it down too much. A lemon twist or an orange slice adds to the bright citrusy flavor.
In a glass with ice, add 2 parts Aperol, 3 parts champagne and 1 part soda. Measurements are flexible, but could be converted to ounces for a 6 ounce drink.


Don’t use your nicest champagne for this, something around the $10 range is good. Freixenet is a nice sparkling wine at a good price. My personal favorite.

Add ice to a 10-12oz glass, add 2 parts aperol (or 1 part if you are not a huge fan).

Top with 3 parts champagne, pouring slowly!

Finish it off with a splash, 1 part, soda water. 

Add a big long lemon twist for a little glamour or an orange slice. And enjoy!

No comments :

Post a Comment