Wednesday, October 25, 2017

A Gem of a Pillow | Part 2


Remember like three and a half years ago when I made a diamond shaped pillow? And then NEVER followed up about painting it? Yeah, that is because I never did! Until now!
When I made these napkins, I got more comfortable with painting fabric. After three + years, I was also less traumatized by this pillow and it has become less treasured. Not for any real reason, just after 1000 days of seeing something around your house you get used to it.
We left off here (picture below), a nicely shaped white pillow that became known as the underwear pillow. For the paint, I chose Jacquard Lumiere Metallic Acrylic in “True Gold”. I used this image to map out my design.
First print out the image and cut out the negative spaces. Pin the design to your fabric and trace the inside lines with a washable marker. Then remove the paper design and tape off the negative spaces. This way you will have nice clean lines. Tuck a piece of waxed paper or cardboard inside the pillow case and get painting. I added three coats of the gold paint and it came out really vibrant and smooth.


The paint did end up a little stiff. It’s more like vinyl now. It was never a very snuggly pillow, with its weird angles, so this didn’t make it non-functional. But keep that in mind if you are going to paint a pillow that is currently soft and pliable. After the paint dried overnight, I rinsed with very hot water to remove the washable marker. Once the pillow cover was dry again I ironed it to set the paint and put it back on the pillow.
And there you have it. It was a little scary, but really not difficult. Plus it finally looks like I intended it to!

No comments :

Post a Comment