Friday, November 24, 2017

Lemon Caper Tuna Salad


First of all, hope everyone had a delicious and cozy Thanksgiving! Now, how about something super quick, easy and cheap for the post holiday? When I think of tuna salad sandwiches I think of mayo and dill pickle relish. It’s a classic and I think it’s delicious*. I had no plans to “revamp” the tuna salad in my life. But I did, kind of by accident.
I found this Tuna pasta recipe on Basically. Basically is a really cool site with easy but interesting dinners, very good for getting ideas or trying something new. I made up the tuna/sauce portion of the recipe and just started eating it. I decided to skip the pasta and put it on some crunchy toasted sourdough bread.
Delicious! If you don’t like lemon you could use white wine or white balsamic vinegar. If you don’t like capers maybe some chopped onion, chopped pepperoncini or Greek olives. This is a really simple recipe. Not even a recipe? Just a different way to think about canned tuna and tuna salad. You will want a higher quality tuna in oil for this salad. I found nicer canned tuna to be easy to find. I found this Genova tuna at King Soopers and Target.

LEMON CAPER TUNA SALAD

1 Can tuna in oil
1 tbsp. Lemon juice
1 tsp. Olive oil
1 tbsp. Capers
2 tbsp. Parsley, minced
Black pepper to taste
Nice crunchy bread to serve

1. Dump the whole can of tuna into a bowl, don’t drain off the oil! Add all other ingredients, fold in. Don’t break up the tuna too much.

2. Toast 1-2 slices of bread, top the toasted bread with the tuna salad. Add more parsley or capers to taste. Finish with fresh ground black pepper

I’m not a fan of albacore tuna, but if you are just find one in oil!

Dump the whole can, including the oil it’s packed in, into a medium bowl.

Add the parsley, capers, lemon juice and olive oil. Top with black pepper or a sprinkle of red pepper flakes for more of a kick.

Gently fold it all in, trying not to break up the tuna slices too much.

Serve on a big piece of crispy bread! I like this open faced, but it could be an actual sandwich. This makes enough for one big sandwich or two smaller sandwiches.

*I hear a lot of people bashing on mayo as gross white mystery goo and I don't understand it. Maybe these people don’t realize what mayo is made of? Or what an emulsion is?

No comments :

Post a Comment