Friday, December 1, 2017

The Hunter Cocktail


December! It’s here. Where did 2017 go? Lost in the frenzy of house projects and daily life I suppose. Even though December is not winter yet, not until the 21st, it doesn’t really feel like fall anymore. This isn’t a winter cocktail per say, but the name and the rich flavors seem more suited to chilly dark nights.
The hunter cocktail reminds me a lot of an Old Fashioned. Whiskey heavy, but also fruity and sweet. I have changed the original recipe to reduce the whiskey slightly, and tweak the amounts of the cherry liqueurs. It was a little too whiskey heavy for me in its classic form (that is weird to say... but I generally stick to the two ounces of primary spirit per cocktail). I increased the Maraschino liqueur to 1/4 ounce, because that is as low as my measuring cup goes. I can be very lazy, so I round all cocktails to quarter/half increments.

THE HUNTER COCKTAIL

2oz Rye Whiskey
1/2 oz Cherry Heering Liqueur
1/4 oz Maraschino Liqueur
2 dashes orange bitters
Cocktail cherry or orange twist

Use whatever bourbon you like for this. There are other brands of cherry liqueur and maraschino, but these are the classics.

If you don’t have orange bitters, you could add a twist instead. These bitters are kind of so-so, I’m considering making my own. These cherries on the other hand, are SO good. 

Nate got me these cool cocktail picks for Christmas last year, they are super appropriate here. I’m showing this in a coupe glass, but it’s also good on the rocks.

Swirl with ice and strain into a glass, or pour over ice if you prefer.


No comments :

Post a Comment